Carmichael Presbyterian Church, Carmichael
In the summer of 1918, a farm wagon began clattering over the little country roads every Sunday morning, collecting the children and taking them to Sunday School. Thus began the heritage of this congregation! In 1927 the first church was built on land donated by H. A. Hobbs who said, “I haven’t been able to make a thing grow on this piece, but maybe a church will grow there!”
Their faith in God and His purpose for the people of this church were severely tested during the war years of the 1940’s. Because steel could not be obtained during the war, the San Diego mission design using adobe bricks was approved. The adobe bricks were made right at the church and tile was used for the roof because it was not considered a critical material during the war. Nationally known contractor John Knapp supervised the building project seven days a week, with a small crew during the week and members of the church on weekends. The bell was rung in this bell tower for the first service in the new church on December 9, 1951.
In 1997, the current church family determined that they, like the faithful stewards of their heritage, must confront the reality of preserving what they had. They developed a plan to make expensive renovations, practical changes, and safety repairs. Thus they began, building on a Legacy of Faith.
Today the renovated sanctuary provides for the spiritual and musical needs of the congregation. The Chancel area has been rearranged to improve the acoustics and to provide space for the combined choirs of singers and bell-ringers and orchestra to perform together during worship services.
And finally, a new Allen organ was installed to enhance the communion and worship services. This instrument is a combination of real wind-blown pipes and the sophisticated digital technology of Renaissance™ by Allen. The console is a 3-manual, 77 stop instrument, interfaced with 6 ranks of pipes that are installed behind the choir loft on the Chancel wall. The result is an instrument of phenomenal color and versatility. Organist, Randy Benfield, delights the congregation with his accompaniments to the hymns and liturgy, as well as with his performance of solo organ literature.